Tens of thousands of Floridians will be involved in incidents involving assault, battery or domestic violence each year. Such incidents often are more difficult for the accused than the alleged victim. Sometimes, the alleged victim is not a victim at all. False allegations often take place in custody battles over children or even an attempt by the alleged victim to obtain/maintain legal status in the United States.
Those charged with domestic violence or assaults frequently are falsely accused, or at the very least not the sole party at fault. They often feel they must deal with complicated legal matters alone. Such legalities are so complex that they could be nearly impossible to understand for anyone without the sufficient legal knowledge and experience.
Those accused in Broward County should immediately contact a qualified domestic violence Fort Lauderdale attorney serving clients in Fort Lauderdale, Pembroke Pines, Hollywood and Coral Springs for a consultation.
Broward County Assault/Domestic Violence Statistics
- From 2004 to 2005, the Sherriff’s Department recorded 1,270 reported cases of assault in Broward County. (1)
- There are on average about 600 assaults reported by the Sherriff’s Department each year in Broward County. (1)
- 6,812 cases of domestic violence of all forms were reported in Broward County in 2010.
- In 2010, Broward County reported thirteen homicides resulting from acts of domestic violence.
The importance of domestic battery / violence lawyers
If you or a loved one is accused of domestic battery,assault or violence charge, the potential penalties and jail time should be considered. They often can be extremely strict, and a criminal lawyer should be contacted immediately to help potentially reduce punishments or to prove the innocence of those falsely accused.These charges may be filed as a misdemeanor or a felony.
Hassett & Associates, P.A. represents sex crimes arrest clients in Broward County and its major cities and areas, including Coral Springs, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood and Pembroke Pines.
1. Florida Crime Clock, 2009:
2. Arrest Totals, January – December 2009