If you or a loved one is facing criminal charges in Florida, understanding the process of posting bail is crucial. In such a stressful time, having a knowledgeable Fort Lauderdale criminal lawyer by your side can make a significant difference. This post will delve into how posting bail works in Florida and why it’s vital to seek the expertise of an experienced criminal attorney like Kenneth P. Hassett of Hassett & Associates, P.A.
What is Bail and How Does It Work in Florida?
Bail is a set amount of money that acts as insurance between the court and the person accused of a crime. The basic idea is to ensure the defendant’s appearance at court hearings. In Florida, after an arrest, the defendant is usually taken to a local law enforcement station for booking, after which they may have the opportunity to post bail.
There are a few ways to post bail in Florida. The most common methods include:
- Cash Bail: Paying the full bail amount in cash.
- Bail Bond: Through a bail bond agent who charges a fee (usually around 10% of the bail amount) and secures the defendant’s release.
- Property Bond: Using property value as collateral.
The amount of bail is determined based on several factors, such as the severity of the crime, the defendant’s criminal history, and the likelihood of fleeing.
Why Hire a Fort Lauderdale Criminal Lawyer for Bail?
Navigating the complexities of the bail process can be challenging. Here’s why hiring an experienced criminal attorney is important:
- Understanding the Legal System: An experienced lawyer has a deep understanding of the criminal justice system and can guide you through the process efficiently.
- Setting Bail Amounts: An attorney can argue for a reasonable bail amount or even work towards having the bail waived.
- Representation at Bail Hearings: Your lawyer can represent you at bail hearings, presenting factors in your favor and arguing against excessive bail.
- Advising on Bail Bond Agreements: They can provide advice on the terms of bail bond agreements and help avoid potential pitfalls.
Kenneth P. Hassett: Expertise You Can Trust
When facing criminal charges in Florida, having an attorney like Kenneth P. Hassett can be invaluable. As a seasoned Fort Lauderdale criminal lawyer, Hassett brings over two decades of experience in criminal defense. His firm, Hassett & Associates, P.A., has a robust track record of successfully handling various criminal cases, from DUIs to more severe felonies.
Kenneth P. Hassett’s approach to criminal defense is comprehensive and client-focused. He understands that each case is unique and requires a tailored strategy. His deep knowledge of Florida’s criminal laws and the bail system makes him an asset in any criminal case.
Services Offered by Hassett & Associates, P.A.
Hassett & Associates, P.A. specializes in a range of criminal defense areas, including but not limited to:
The firm’s commitment to providing personalized and aggressive representation has earned it a reputation for excellence in the Fort Lauderdale area.
Contact Hassett & Associates, P.A. for Bail and Criminal Defense Needs
If you or someone you know is facing criminal charges and needs help with posting bail in Florida, don’t hesitate to contact Hassett & Associates, P.A. With their extensive experience and dedication, they stand ready to assist you through every step of the legal process.
Remember, the right legal representation can make a significant difference in your case. Contact Hassett & Associates, P.A. today for a consultation and ensure that your rights are protected.
Understanding the bail process in Florida and having an experienced criminal attorney can significantly impact the outcome of your case. Kenneth P. Hassett of Hassett & Associates, P.A. offers the expertise and support needed to navigate these challenging times effectively. Don’t hesitate to reach out for the legal assistance you deserve. Call Hassett & Associates, P.A. today at 954-791-3939.